Saturday, November 5, 2011

Yikes, it's been awhile since I posted...

... Don't worry though, I'm still alive ;-) I know I didn't post last week about school, but I ended up being called into work both Saturday and Sunday. So last week I worked all 7 days and 43 hours. So, I was pretty busy to say the least. I can't quite remember all of the things we did last weekend, but I do have pictures. (Hopefully this will make it so that you overlook the fact that I have no pictures from todays class.) Last weekend was all about egg based desserts. Such as, custard, crème brûlée, and other things that I have forgotten about. Oh! Also ice cream! Here are some pictures, (one of which has a guest appearance from yours truly) Oh gosh, I forgot we also made cheesecakes.
You can't tell, but it started snowing like crazy!
We made bread pudding too!


The base for our ice cream - it has coffee grounds in it
Finished bread puddings
Someone let me use a torch...

Creme brulee - not quite burnt enough


Cheesecake! 
So we made all of those things last weekend, on Sunday I got called into work, so I went right from school to Starbucks and closed. I got home around 11:30 and then had to be back at work on Monday at 6am, which involves waking up at 5. It pretty much took until now to recover. Hahaha That brings us to today. Next weekend we have our practical and written examinations for this term. We will have to take a written exam and then make a flour based chocolate souffle and a creme anglaise. So the last 45 minutes of class today were spent reviewing. This morning we made some frozen desserts. First we made static frozen desserts (they are poured into moulds and then put into the blast freezer) and then we made bombes. It was a layer of vanilla bean ice cream, a layer of raspberry, a layer of chocolate chips, another layer of raspberry, and finally a layer of chocolate. It turned out well and tasted quite delicious. Then we made pastry cream - half vanilla and half praline - and then we made choux. Choux is just puff pastry, tomorrow we will fill them with the pastry cream to make cream puffs and eclairs. The second half of class tomorrow is going to be dedicated to career services. We are going to start discussing possibilities for our externships and do resumés.

I had a funny moment at work the other day when I had to wash the windows. The windows are pretty tall and there is a very long window washing tool that you have to use. So there I was outside on 3rd avenue with a long pole trying to wash windows while people were trying not to trip over said pole... The customers inside were pretty much staring at me hahaha. Also my dad called me this week and as soon as we hung up I burst into tears... haha The day to day here is fine and I don't find myself feeling sad or anything, but as soon as I talk to someone from home it makes me feel terribly home sick :-( So, if I haven't called you lately, it's probably because I know that I will immediately begin to cry and not because I hate you :-) I should also mention that it probably also had to do with the realization that I won't be able to make it home for Thanksgiving or Christmas - my store is in a Jewish neighborhood, so it's open on Christmas day.

This week I went and saw a movie (Like crazy) and started reading a new book. The movie was really good and I am almost finished with the book which is also good. The book is called "Is everyone hanging out without me? (and other concerns)" and it's by Mindy Kaling who is on the office. Well, I think that's it for now. I miss all of you and hope that you're all doing well.
Lots of love,
Kayla

2 comments:

  1. :( you just made me a little weepy. i just had to picture the thanksgiving table without you and i really didn't want to do that. I miss you so much! I'm glad you're having a good time and learning about so many delicious things, but I miss you more than I ever thought I would (and I knew I'd miss you a ton!). I hope we can see each other sometime after Christmas. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Kayla, all these desserts sound fabulous...in theory. I'm just skeptical enough about them though, that I believe you may have to make some for us to prove that you are really learning your lessons well:>) You know we miss you too, I was just about to bug you for another post on your blog and look, you read my mind and here it is! The thought of you not being home for the holidays is pretty darn hard to tke, no doubt about it, but Christmas in New York could be pretty cool. You must check out the big dept. store window displays, and maybe even get a few photos to share here. You can bet your family will be thinking of you and at the risk of making you cry, we may even have to call. Good luck with your exams! I know you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete