Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ribbon cakes, cookies, parfaits and being good at balancing...

I have to wear my hair in a bun at school so that I can avoid wearing a hairnet; so at the end of the day when I take the bun down, my hair has dried in a weird direction and gets all twisted and looks pretty funny. I should have started this off by saying that I'm coming home in April. I'll be home from April 5-9, so hopefully I'll see you while I'm there. School has been moving along swiftly and I cannot believe I only have a couple more months of classes. I've been having a good time this semester and really enjoy my instructor. Getting a compliment from someone who is fairly critical feels a lot better than from someone who compliments everything. We've been making a bunch of stuff and I keep surprising myself by doing really well on it and being told so by my teacher as well. Enough bragging about myself though. I have some pictures!


We made tonsss of cookies!


 
We made chocolate ribbon cakes!
The chocolate ribbon cakes were pretty neat, we covered a cake that had a mousse with chocolate "plastic" which was really neat to work with. Today we had our first attempt at making plated desserts. These are the kind of dishes that you would make in a fancy restaurant as a pastry chef. I am not a very creative person so I've been kind of worried about this part of the course, but it went well. My team made a chestnut parfait with roasted pears, candied chestnuts and a wafer on top. I was responsible for the parfait portion and had a mini freakout, but I'll get to that in a moment. First, here's a couple of pictures:
This is the one that I plated myself...
So onto my freakout... So I made the parfait part of the parfait... To make it I had to whip up egg yolks with a hot milk/sugar/gelatin mixture and whip until the yolks were cool, light and fluffy. Well after several minutes it wasn't happening. I ended up tossing it and starting from scratch. Then the same thing happened... I started to get nervous and went to my instructor to ask for advice. He told me to wait and keep whipping it and that it would come together... and if it didn't we would start over and make sure we did it perfect. Well, he was right and it came together after like 10 minutes. I have to say it came out beautifully and it tasted pretty great. I took one to another class and the chef complimented me and said it was beautiful. Next week we have some more plated desserts and then our final is on Sunday. Then the weekend after we move onto chocolate (ugh...) and cake decorating. Also, I've become a pro at making whipped cream by hand, I think I may be the fastest in my class.
On another note, I think I officially became a real New Yorker today... I was able to stand up on the subway without holding on and I didn't fall once. Hahaha I think that's it for now. See you soon.

4 comments:

  1. 1. Ribbon cake looks spectacular-and I'm not just saying that!

    2. I have always wanted to try chestnuts and thew parfait sounds like a good way...hmm, a colaboration next time you're home?

    3. Subway surfing-you are exhibiting lots of awesomeness! (I have tried it in DC, only mixed success).

    See you in April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you will be home soon:>)I ♥ LOVE ♥ getting those visits, and you haven't been posting on FB or the blog much so I'm feeling out of touch. I know, you're busy, I just miss you:>}
    I agree with your Uncle, chestnut parfait sounds so intruiging! What shall we make for dinner next time you're home? Lasagna? Grilled flatbread with yummy toppings?
    We love you, and miss you. I am so very very proud of you and how well you are doing!

    XOXO
    AK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, but "Then the weekend after we move onto chocolate (ugh...)" ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? did living with me for a year teach you nothing? lol I can't wait to see you on the 5th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You're coming home...and I'm going to be here for it! Everything looks beautiful...lol that your nerves still get the better of you. You obviously love this...and are amazingly talented at it! I have to agree with Lauren's Mimi rant....but then, I know your feelings on. Chocolate. I can't explain them...lol...but I know them! Looking forward to seeing you.. .I've missed you so much!

    ReplyDelete