Monday, March 19, 2012

Promotions, Finals, and Feeling at home

Well, I finished another term/semester/mod at school and am happy to say that I still have an A. The last few weeks of school have been a real test. I had to work with a partner that I cannot stand and have come to the realization that I am an absolute control freak. It's not a very flattering quality so I'm going to work on it. I had my final on Sunday and for the final we had a written portion and then we had to decorate a cake. We made the lemon-scented cake again, but this time we got to choose the flavors and determine how we wanted to decorate it. I chose to do raspberry jam with a framboise (raspberry liquer) flavored buttercream. We practiced our piping skills on Saturday and by Sunday my rosettes looked a lot better. When we finished our cakes we had to sit down with the chef one-on-one and discuss our thoughts on what our grade should be. I kind of hate having to self evaluate and tell someone what grade I think I deserve. I had a class in college where the professor didn't believe in grades, so we each had to meet with him and tell him what grade to give us. I was having flashbacks to that when I went to sit down with the chef. I finished my cake first and volunteered to go get graded first. There were different criteria like how the sides of the cake looked, the top of the cake, finishing details, the layers on the inside, etc. The sides of my cake looked kind of crappy because I had a little trouble with them, so he asked me what I thought I deserved out of 18. I said 13 because I was not very happy with the work and knew I could have done better. He told me that I am too hard on myself and gave me a 16. I ended up with an A (although a low A like a 93) so I was pretty satisfied. Plus the chef said some really nice things to me, which made me feel pretty good. Next weekend begins the chocolate mod along with more cake decorating. So stay tuned. (Oh - side note, I tried my cake before I got rid of it and it was delicious!)

On another front, I got promoted to shift supervisor at Starbucks today. I'll be making about two dollars more an hour which is really nice. I've come to the realization that I love it here. I've made some really great friends and I get to live in quite possibly the craziest place on the planet. I still am surprised sometimes to think that I actually did this; that I actually moved out here on my own without knowing anyone. I feel really proud of myself to be honest, hopefully I can say that without sounding boastful. On a side note: I'm re-reading "The Great Gatsby" and was reminded by one particular passage as to why I loved F. Scott Fitzgerald's writing. So, I'll leave you with that. Hope everyone has a good week. I'll see you soon!
"He smiled understandingly-much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced--or seemed to face--the whole external world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself." 

7 comments:

  1. As sad as I am to say it, I am glad that you feel at home and have the courage to follow your dreams Kayla. You know we love and miss you, but I do want you to be happy. You have a lot to be proud of. You are doing wonderfully in your chosen field. I'm dying to know what the chef said, I wouldn't think you were bragging too much at all if you told me!
    I love the quote you chose, and I love you. We are ALL proud of the beautiful, brave, smart young woman you have become.Just don't ever forget to set aside a little time to come home and be with the people who love you best.

    XOXO

    AK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chef thanked me for being in the class and said it was a pleasure to have me there. He said that he would be proud to put the cake I made in a display case in his bakery and that I am a hard worker and have talent.

      Delete
    2. Hah! Not at all surprised. That comment has Kayla written all over it. You have high standards and it shows:>) By the way, I failed to congratulate you on your promotion. I'm so happy for you Kayla. Everything seems to be working out the best it can be.
      You rock!

      Delete
  2. I thought I might get in first..but sadly, your aunt was once again very fast! (plus I had sign in issues!) Chef was right...you're always too hard on yourself! However, that is part of your charm! Congratulations on your promotion...any company would be lucky to have such n incredible young woman working for them! Your cake is beautiful...your post awesome, as always....can't wait to see you for Easter! Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I miss having my best friend around, I'm happy that you are finally happy. :) can't wait til we live closer! :) I miss you like crazy and I'm looking forward to picking you up at metro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your promotion! And your cake is gorgeous-how nice of the chef to tell you it was nice enough put it in his bakery case. Another accomplishment to be proud of!

    I'm glad you like it there (I'd hate for you to be miserable the whole time you're there) but I still miss you. That said, however, I, too, am proud of you for going after your dream. It couldn't have been easy and you deserve to be proud of yourself!

    Love you and looking forward to seeing you soon! (Oh, and you can bring all your chocolate projects home when you come, you know;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I "like" your Aunt Karen's Comment:>)

    ReplyDelete