Thursday, May 3, 2012

Life questions, being vegetarian, neglecting blogs

I was just thinking that it hasn't been that long since I last updated my blog and then I looked and noticed that I never even posted about the chocolate stuff I made. (Spoiler alert, I hated it...) I also feel like not much has happened but I guess it has. So, I will try to briefly catch everyone up with my life since my last update. (I posted a cute picture of Margot because how can you be mad about a lack of updates when you see that face?) Before I get into the school stuff, I actually have something that I need a little advice on. So, I got promoted to shift supervisor at Starbucks a few weeks ago and about a week ago my manager asked me about becoming an assistant manager. I had never really given it any thought and had not been very interested before, but I gave it some thought and told him that I would definitely consider it. I figure that even if I get a job right out of school it's not going to pay that great and it might not have the great benefits that Starbucks does. Plus an assistant starts at around $40k a year which it quite a lot more than what I currently make (plus you get stocks and 401k and all that great stuff). So after thinking about it I told my manager that I would like to pursue it. I was thinking that it would take several months if it even happened at all. There is also the fact that when you're promoted 99% of the time you have to transfer to a different store. However, today when I came in my manager told me that he talked to our district manager and I can do an interview in two weeks... He also told our dm that he would delay getting an assistant for a couple months so that I can stay at our store and do it. This seems to be happening really fast and I'm a little bit worried if it's the right thing to do. I need the money and I really like working at Starbucks and there's a definite safety net there; I just don't want to get distracted from my goal of baking. So, am I making a huge mistake by possibly taking this promotion? Or is it a good decision? I need some outside perspective please! Alright onto school. I cannot remember everything that we did, so here are some pictures:

The beginning stages of molded chocolates

This looks like a walnut but it's chocolate



Isomalt (fancy sugar)

Chocolate showpiece

It's all chocolate/isomalt (even the round base is chocolate)

marzipan fruit

more marzipan fruit

random terrible piping

basket weave piping

buttercream rose

another rose

beginning of gumpaste roses

gumpaste roses finished
 Those roses are going to go on top of the wedding cake that I am making for my final project. I have to say that I love cake decorating. I ended up being good at it which greatly surprised me. Tomorrow morning (or this morning since it's pretty late) I am going to Amy's bread to work for a couple of hours. If all goes well, I will get my externship there. So please send some good thoughts my way. I kind of didn't go into detail about anything in this post, so if there's anything that you are wondering about, a picture of whatever, leave a comment and I will try to answer it in a new post within the next couple of days. That's all for now, sorry for this rambling post. Oh, hey I forgot to say that I stopped eating meat again. So there's that... 
Hope you're all well.
-Kayla

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh YES! Take the promotion! You will be GREAT at it and you don't have to stay there forever even if you take it! But it definitely helps to have the extra money and makes it so that you have a little more stability and savings built up! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a tough decision Kayla. Don't close any doors, but be very up front in your interview, let them know that you have an externship that you have to complete before you could even consider a transfer and that you have worked very hard for this opportunity. Let the decision be theirs. Your experience could be an asset to Starbucks, both as a barista and in the extra training you have with your education.
    As someone who has put my own dreams on the back burner for basically all my life because of practical needs, I have to say if you have a dream don't let anything get in the way. As with most things in life you are so much more able to take chances and recover if they don't work out when you are young, than you are at an older age when you have a life to support and less time to pick yourself up when you fall. The money is tempting, but with your experience that assistant manager opportunity will always be an option if you need it!
    Don't give up that dream Kayla, but don't close the door on it either. Let Starbucks decide if they want you badly enough to train and employ you while you finish your schooling. You may be surprised, they could go for it! If they do, just stick to your guns if they try to move you too soon. As long as you are straight with them up front they don't have a leg to stand on if they want to move you too soon and you would have no guilt in saying, "sorry, I was clear when I took this that moving wasn't an option for me right now." Just don't increase your lifestyle if you get it to the point where you can't walk away from the job.
    Sorry I'm so long winded. I hope that helps. You will have opportunities with Starbucks forever, if you walk away from your dream it will be much harder to go back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll just piggyback on your aunt's comment, Kayla, 'cause she's right...they obviously recognize your ability and work ethic at Starbuck's, or you wouldn't have been approached. (It's good to know they see the same brilliance in you that we all do.)

    Let them know your terms (it's not often you have leverage in negotiations, so take advantage) and let them decide whether having your talented self in that job is worth making some assurances. I'm betting they'll think it is.

    Whatever happens, do your best to complete your goal. You've invested a huge amount of personal energy, work, and changes to your life in moving toward that goal. Don't let money stop you.

    Uncle E

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you're selling out on your dreams if you take the promotion-at least if it doesn't directly interfere with your dreams. As you've already been advised, you can negotiate a bit before taking it but it sounds from your post like your boss already realizes your needs and wants to have you even with those limitations.

    I continue to be so proud of you, Kayla. You have a great head on your shoulders so don't doubt your decision once it's made. You'll do great whichever way you decide.

    Keep us posted on your externship, k?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keeka, I went in for the "trail" at Amy's bread on Friday and got the externship! It was such a load off my shoulders and I could not be more happy right now.

      Delete