Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sore feet, no free time, and being content


Well, you are looking at the newest graduate of ICE (sort of - I don't officially get my diploma until I've finished my externship.) My dad, brother, and sister got to come in for the occasion and it was fun showing them around the city and finally making it to the museum of natural history. The cake that I made turned out pretty much the way I pictured it in my head when I sketched it, and despite a couple of flaws I was happy with the end result. Here's a picture my dad took:
It's still kind of weird to me that I made that. I am not the least bit creative but somehow I managed to do that... weird. Anyhow, I started my externship this morning and was really surprised when I awoke that I was really sad to not be going to school today. I guess it's not that much of a surprise since I've kind of always been a nerd... oh well. The externship went well, I made cookie dough, made a couple types of frosting, prepared cake pans, wrapped cakes, cleaned, more stuff I can't think of. I think that I was underestimating how tough this would be in addition to Starbucks, but I'm not complaining, it's fun. I went to the bakery which is in a part of Manhattan called Hell's Kitchen and there was a street fair going on today; so for the whole day whenever I looked outside I felt like I was back in Rochester, because it looked just like downtown Rochester when they have something going on outside. 
Here's another picture from graduation a very (un)flattering close-up (thanks dad!) It should also be noted that I had eight hours of class before the graduation ceremony and the air conditioning was not working.
My eyes look nice and wonky...

On a different note, I'm considering moving again. A girl I work with needs a new roommate (she lives with two other girls but the third just moved out.) It's in the Bronx but in a house that is really nice. I am going to look at it on Tuesday, I haven't decided for sure, but it seems like it would be a really great fit. I'll keep you updated. Hope you're all having a good weekend.
-Kayla


3 comments:

  1. Your Uncle and I looked at your photos and could not help but comment to each other just how adorable you are. Kayla, adorableness is you:>) I am sending you a huge hug ((())). I know I'm a dork, but I'm a dork who loves you and is so proud of you and all the hard work you have put in!
    Not creative? Maybe you had never found your creative niche before now, because sweetie, that cake is GORGEOUS! You know, there are more ways to be creative than painting and drawing. Cooking and baking is a creative endeavor that seems to come naturally to you.
    I look forward to hearing more about your externship as it progresses. I love you niece!Thaks for the update:>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME work, Dear Niece! I think you're plenty creative and really just beginning to find your preferred ways of expressing it.

    I hope you keep telling us all about the externship-I know you're going to enjoy it, even if it's hard work-on which you seem to thrive!

    Love you, sweetie.

    Unc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it strange how your uncle looks just like me when he comments? lol

    ReplyDelete