Wednesday, October 3, 2012

One year in...


It's crazy to think that just a little over a year ago, I was being dropped off at some slightly gross place in Queens sobbing and thinking I'd made the worst mistake of my life. What a difference a year can make... (or something like that.) Well, folks I'm here to report that I'm still alive and well. I've not had much time to do anything lately, I've been working a crazy amount and then catching up on laundry and cleaning on my day(s) off. The bakery is going really well and I still love it. I've been getting to make different things and on the days that I work later in the day/evening I get to help the night bakers which means making a bunch of stuff you never see on the day shift. I also have been cooking for myself pretty much every day, which is nice. The other day I made veggie lasagna (Thanks Aunt Kathy!) and even my meat eating roommates loved it. I've also continued reading a bunch, the latest book I read is the new Junot Diaz book called "This is How You Lose Her," he is the author of one of my all time favorite books, "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao," and his new book was just as good. 
Also, I've been able to listen to NPR at the bakery every day. Now this may not seem that exciting to anyone but me, but there might not be anything better than making carrot cake and listening to Car Talk. Speaking of carrots... I was making carrot cake on Monday and came across quite possibly the biggest carrot ever...
I also made red velvet cake this last weekend and looked like the victim of a violent crime:
Oh, also, I'll be coming home for a day to do my civic duty and also to get my car on November 6th. It might seem crazy that I'll be bringing my car to the city, but it's been taking me around 1.5 hours on the train to get to and from work which is driving me crazy!!!! It will take around 30 minutes via my car and there is free parking at my job and plenty of free parking at my house, not to mention that the route to get from the Bronx to Queens that I'll take doesn't have any tolls. So in order to save my sanity, it seems like the smart thing to do. Now, if only I could figure out a way to steal my dog without my Dad and/or my roommates noticing I'd be golden.
Here's some food that I made recently for myself and some dessert for my roommates:
strawberry shortcake

Thai coconut veggies with brown rice
And lastly, my beloved Tigers have eked into the postseason for the second season in a row, while Miguel Cabrera is about to accomplish something that hasn't been done since 1967, which is to win the triple crown. It's nice to know that even after a year in New York, I haven't been converted into a Yankees fan.

 

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I got the biggest, silliest grin on my face reading that you made my veggie lasagna:) I'm so glad you like it (and pleased that you think of me when you do!) I'm glad you're happy, though we miss you a lot, things worked out. We love you Kayla. It does sound like having your car is gooing to be a good thing. Are there a lot of big fees in NYC for cars? Seems we heard there were, you might want to check it out.
    Sending hugs!

    Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! Woot! You're not only surviving ... you're thriving, Baby!!! So excited for you, Kayla! Thanks for blogging your journey ... and I, for one, LOVE NPR ... especially the car talk guys! AND ... I LOVE Junot Diaz ... Oscar Wao was amazing ... eek! So happy for you ... keep blogging, and good luck with the car (and stealing the dog)!

    --Gina

    ReplyDelete