Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Adventures...

Today started out pretty lazy... I was super tired when I woke up this morning, so I decided that instead of venturing into the city right away, I would catch up on some tv that I missed. haha. After that though I called the place that's doing my school uniform which then told me to call back later to see if it was ready. So, I decided to venture into the city and kill some time before picking up my pastry supplies. I got off the subway at the Rockefeller Center stop and just kind of walk around. So, in that area is Rockefeller plaza, a bunch of news channels, the theater where they film "Late Night with David Letterman," and Radio City Music Hall (see above photo). I then walked around and saw Times Square, which even at 1pm on a Wednesday was filled with people. After that I found a Chipotle and decided to stop for lunch. It was kind of a weird feeling sitting in a restaurant and eating by myself, but it was not as bad as I expected. After Chipotle was when the adventure started. I haven't been carrying around a map of the subway at all; instead I've been relying on the Google Maps app on my phone. Well, it got me lost... So I ended up getting on the wrong train and had to get off at a stop that was around 10 blocks or more away from my destination. Oh well, it wasn't so bad I got to walk around a part of the city that I hadn't seen yet. Then I got to go pick up my pastry supplies from a culinary supply shop. I was in heaven... The whole shop was just all sorts of cooking tools and it was awesome. Here is my haul:

The only bad part about this was that I then had to lug all that stuff around for the next 1.5 hours until I got home. All of it came in the bag that is in the background in the picture. After I got all of that stuff I called and found out I can pick my uniform up tomorrow! I ended up getting on the wrong train on my way home to Queens and had to do some maneuvering in order to get back. I ended up transferring onto another train that was not the right one. Long story short, I had to get off at a stop that was about 10 blocks from where I'm staying. It was a really long day. Well, I think that's all for now. Hope everyone is well!
-Kayla
Bonus picture of the street:

4 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie! All in all, it seems like a good day, and at least you're not letting the subways get you down. What a haul!! Wow...and can't wait to see your chef's coat! As always, I love you...please be careful...and I will bet that you won't be eating meals alone for long. Your wonderful personality, pretty face, and hilarious sense of humor will win you another set of amazing friends there! Make sure you're getting enough sleep, honey!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, I see a whisk, decorating tips, microplane, and lots of fun stuff. Although I also see a calculatorwhy must math rear it's ugly head in every academic endeavor? :>)I can't wait to see the stuff you learn to make. Will they let you bring a camera to class?
    In have to tell you sweetheart, I would never in a million years have the courage to do what you are doing. Go someplace completely unfamiliar, by myself, and explore on my own. I admire you so much, although I hope with all my heart you come back here some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're WAY more adventurous than I, dear Niece!

    I'm so pleased to read you're enjoying your new surroundings and getting your bearings so quickly!

    I also heard you got the SBUX job; congratulations!

    Keep on posting, I'm loving the updates!

    U. Earl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pics of your "room" please!! :)

    ReplyDelete