Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Starting out...

Well, after a tearful goodbye with my dad and sister, I started my first full day in the city. Well, technically outside the city (or at least Manhattan); I'm in the outer borough of Queens and the neighborhood I'm in is apparently the China-town of Queens. It's got a lot of ethnic food nearby, including a thai place that I'm excited to try out. Today I ventured into Manhattan because I had a job interview at a Starbucks there. It was a 25 minute subway ride and I managed not to get lost (I was quite proud). The interview went really well, the manager seemed cool and said that he would really like to hire me, so keep your fingers crossed please! After my interview I had some time to kill before getting fitted for my chef's uniform at school, so I walked up a couple blocks and went to Barnes and Noble! It was a huge one! I spent some time in there looking at books and ended up getting a bowl of tomato basil soup from the cafe for lunch. After Barnes and Noble, I went downtown to my school to get fitted for my uniform. According to google maps the train that I got on was supposed to have a stop at the street my school is on which is 23rd st. Well, Google maps is a liar... haha, I ended up having to get out on 14th st and walk a few extra blocks. Luckily the rain had stopped so it wasn't too bad of a walk. So, I went to the school and got fitted for my chef's coat and then I got vouchers to go pick up my pants, shoes, and other supplies. I'm going to pick up my supplies tomorrow and then maybe spend some time exploring the city (or vice versa since I don't want to be carrying a bunch of stuff around all day). I think that on Friday I'm going to go visit the MET, which is my favorite part of the city. I figure that I should do it before I get too busy with work and school. Well, I think that's it for now, if you don't see me updating regularly, send me an email to nag me!
Hope you're all well,
Kayla

*note: the above picture is from the trip I took to the city earlier this year, I haven't had a chance to get any pictures just yet!

3 comments:

  1. I get to comment first! I am so excited about keeping up with you on this blog Kayla. Thrilled to see the city through your eyes and hear about your days and the things you see and do:>) Are you going to get to spend aome more time with your dad and Sam before school starts? Love you. Looking forward to photos of your new place:>)

    Hugs
    AK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...for some reason, I have trouble after signing up with being able to leave a comment! (Happens on Aunt Kathy's and Kee's pages as well!) I just want to say it is going to be delightful to follow you...following your dreams! You're a bold and brave young woman, and it's exciting to see you be so courageous! I love you very much, and I'm excited to see this phase of your life unfold!
    Love you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog makes me super jealous!! I need to come visit so soon...your life is so exciting and fun now! (not that it wasn't before, but you know...) Stay safe in your hostel!!
    Char

    ReplyDelete