Thursday, December 15, 2011

This one's for you Aunt Kathy :-)

So today I went down to Rockefeller Center to see the tree, among other things, and take pictures for you guys to see. I also realized that I didn't post about school on Sunday (forgive me, I've been opening at work... ugh.) so this may end up being a long winded post, bear with me. I'll start with the Christmas stuff first. I took the train from work, which is uptown, down to 49th st, which is "midtown", and I wasn't sure where all of the stuff I wanted to see was (Read: the tree). So, I walked around and accidentally walked through Times Square, which was a nightmare as usual (no seriously, some weird woman "danced" over to me to give me a flyer for a show... "no thank you" was my reply.) I got out of there as fast as humanly possible (i.e. not that fast since it's packed with people who are moving extremely slow in order to gawk at all the bright lights, even when it's daytime and they don't look that great). I kept walking all the while feeling incredibly stupid that I couldn't find the Christmas tree - even after Googling it. So as I'm walking I keep going around the same three blocks in a daze thinking "Gee, it's got to be around here somewhere..." and then I walked straight into the area that's located in and didn't realize it for a good two minutes. At some point I thought "oh wow, that giant evergreen with all of the decorations and lights is probably the thing I'm looking for... thank God no one was witness to this moment of brainlessness." For further proof that you really can't miss the tree, I present a picture:
It sticks out in that "I'm a huge tree in the middle of a bunch of buildings" kind of way
Here are some other pictures of the surrounding areas decked out in festive cheer:
All of the trees had Christmas lights on them (it probably looks better at night)



Also, my morning started out weird today. I got onto the 4 train this morning at like 4:30am and there was a seat open like an inch from where I got on so I went to sit down, until some guy who was middle aged sprinted (yes sprinted) to the seat and stole it, while looking at me and saying "no no no no no." Early morning Kayla was not impressed (yes I did just refer to myself in the third person). I just gave him a look like "you seriously just did that?" and went to stand by the door instead. (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's crazy.) It all worked out though because on my way home a nice man gave up his seat for me.(awww)
 Ok, that was my adventure for the day now onto school!

I really should blog right after school because now I honestly cannot remember what we did on Sunday... Oh yeah, we finished our croissants! I've got to be honest - my croissants were a pain in the butt. The dough was pretty dry due to the error of the scale on Saturday, so it was really really hard to roll out and form into croissants. I made it through though and baked some plain croissants and also some chocolate ones. (Edit: I forgot the best part about croissant making - you get to beat things with a rolling pin. More specifically butter. It is a laminated dough and so you have to roll like a pound of butter into the dough, but first you have to beat it with a rolling pin so that it's thin and soft while still solid. I recommend it if you are stressed or angry.)

They ended up tasting fine though, I took them to work and they were devoured quite quickly. The guy that I was closing with ate like 3 at least... hahaha. We also made danishes and my partner and I filled some with raspberry jam and some with an apple filling. Note: the toothpicks popped out during baking so they came apart, they still tasted good.

After croissants and danish, we made fresh fruit tarts. On the one tart it's just pastry cream and fresh fruit (and actually on the little ones too) and on the second large one it has orange curd in it. (By the way - orange curd is delicious.) 
This one has orange curd
Hmmm... I think that's it for now. I'm sorry if this is incoherent, I was up this morning at 330am and have not taken a nap today, because I need to be able to sleep tonight since I will be up again tomorrow at the same time! Yay! Oh, also I just wanted to say thanks for the cards/letters that I've gotten. It seriously brightens my day.
Kayla


2 comments:

  1. You are an angel to go down and find the decorations for me Kayla! Thank you. Don't worry about feeling brainless, we all have our moments (I'll share some of mine when we talk soon!)The croissants sure look good enough to eat, imagine what they would have been like if the scale had worked right:>) The tarts look gorgeous and I am so intrigued by the idea of orange curd. I hope you'll share the recipe with me. I would love to try it soon! You sound exhausted, wish you were here. We miss you terribly. Did you apply at the indie theater?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! i want those tarts! and the chocolate croissants, but you already knew that ;) love you and miss you terribly!

    ReplyDelete