Saturday, December 3, 2011

Carb coma, Dry eyes, and other hazzards of culinary school...

Too. Many. Carbs.
That's a phrase that I didn't know I had in my vocabulary since I've never met a carb that I didn't like, but dear lord after today's class I feel like I've od'ed on them. Today we made savory breads/pizzas and by jove they were delicious. (I have no idea why I'm speaking/writing in this manner, I think that my brain may be slowly rotting). The first thing we did today was to get our report cards. Guess who's got a 4.0? Obviously me, I really wouldn't be blogging about my classmates good grades... Anyways, after getting our report cards, we started on making a ciabatta dough. We turned half of the ciabatta into focaccia. For the ciabatta half of it was mixed with rosemary and shaped into "rings" and the plain dough was made into loaves. For the focaccia we divided the top into quadrants and put tomatoes in one section, potato in another, onions and olives in the third section, and rosemary in the fourth. So it looked something like this:
We ran out of rosemary so I just did another section of olives and onions. My eyes hurt so bad today because they had chopped like 20 onions (other students, not my eyes) and after the pizza baked there was a lot of smoke in the air so it really dried my eyes out. The good news though is that I didn't burn myself or cut any fingers today. Here's a picture of the ciabatta:

After we made those breads we moved onto pizza! I decided to just do a very simple pizza with my favorite combination of sauce cheese and basil. It turned out really great.

I think that's it for today, hope everyone is well.
-Kayla

4 comments:

  1. As always, Dear Neice, it looks delicious!

    Unc. E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautifu breads....what you are doing is stunning and amazing! I've only been able to access your blog from my phone until a couple days ago, and now it's saying I'm from Lynn Haven...(squiggly faced guy) Anyway....this blog is SUCH a delight...reading about your experiences is hilarious, informative...and captivating. Every time I think I couldn't be MORE proud of you...a new post shows up, and I re-discover the pure joy it is to be your mom. I am SO proud of you! As always, can't wait until the next post!

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look sooo delicious Kayla! I have tried foccacia but wasn't completely satisfied with the outcome. Maybe some day when you come home you could give me some pointers. I actually said to your uncle the other day, "We should open a bakery/coffee shop and hire Kayla to be our manager/baker." Who knows, anything could happen:>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My nephew really likes to eat that type dishes and me also because it removes eye dryness problem.This is the educative and delicious post for me!! Treatment of Dry Eye Syndrome

    ReplyDelete